Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 22:39:41 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
> While talking about Org: I think the current way we have Org in GNU ELPA
> is problematic and incompatible with the way GNU ELPA is working
> nowadays.  It'd be better to have in GNU ELPA the *released* versions of
> Org rather than the bleeding edge (which can be obtained from Org's own
> ELPA repository).

The version of Org in ELPA is "maint", not master.  The "maint" branch
tracks the released version plus any bugfixes between releases and it's
currently 39 commits ahead of release_8.2.7c (the version in ELPA
actually is 25 versions ahead since it's two days old).  The bleeding
edge version of Org is "master" and is currently 1342 commits ahead of
release_8.2.7c.

> So I suggest:
> - we remove the hack that adds bleeding-edge versions of Org to GNU
> ELPA.

To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing (yes I did look it up
again just now to be sure), Org does not provide packages for bleeding
edge at all; not on GNU ELPA and not on orgmode.org.  Bleeding edge is
primarily provided through Git, but there's a daily snapshot tarball of
the "master" tree for those who can't use Git.

Regards,
Achim.