Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Org merging [was Re: next pretest]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 07:34:09 +0200

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> While talking about Org: I think the current way we have Org in GNU ELPA
> is problematic and incompatible with the way GNU ELPA is working
> nowadays.  It'd be better to have in GNU ELPA the *released* versions of
> Org rather than the bleeding edge (which can be obtained from Org's own
> ELPA repository).
>
> So I suggest:
> - we remove the hack that adds bleeding-edge versions of Org to GNU ELPA.

Yes -- this can be done anytime.

> - we move the Org code from the Emacs's bzr repository to
>   an `externals/org-mode' Git branch in the `elpa' repository.  At the same
>   time, this will cause GNU ELPA to provide packages for Org releases
>   with Org's version numbers.

Okay.  Do you really want to move the bzr history there or just import
the Org Git stable branch into an externals/org-mode Git branch?

> - we work on the long-standing need to include GNU ELPA packages in
>   the tarball.
>
> Moving the code to the `elpa' branch means that there'll still be a need
> to synchronize, but the "orgmode.org => elpa" direction can be done with
> a simple "git pull", and the other direction is not supposed to have
> very many changes to sync, so it should be much easier.

Agreed.

FWIW, my plan for Org-mode development is (1) to let core development
happen on the GNU ELPA Git branch and (2) to have a separate Org ELPA
for contributions.  Both goals are separate and (2) has priority over
(1), which is not really necessary, but desirable IMHO.

--
 Bastien