Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:50:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Nic Ferrier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:53:16 +0100
>>
>> I hope the tooling will bring more people which will re-energize the
>> current community and add positivity.
>
> Sorry, but I will believe it when I see it.

When I started coding clojure a couple of years ago, I went through a
process of rediscovering the state of the art in Emacs even though I
have been using it for 20 years; not just the Clojure specific stuff,
but things like magit.

In terms of tooling, I would argue strongly that package.el and more
recently MELPA stable have made a significant difference to the
community. It is now incredibly easy for me to update one of my
packages, do a release and have it in peoples hands.

I write code in the first instance for my own benefit. Decreasing the
additional effort that I need to make to release it to others is  an
important contribution.

I am with Nic; I think it's already happening.

Phil