Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 09:33:55 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>> Instead of adding Magit as is, I would rather add certain components of
>> Magit to Emacs itself (after sufficiently abstracting them) and move
>> certain functionality into libraries that are already part of Emacs.
>
> That would be great.  There are some features of magit that would be
> really nice to have available for all packages by being bundled with
> emacs.  The popup menu system is pretty much the best, for example.

It is really nice. There is a similar solution in org-mode (the export
dispatcher) and even in auctex (which is simpler but generally works out
the right thing to do for you).

All of them are text, all of the fast and all of them easy to use (but
slightly different). Having a generic library that could be reused by
different packages would be great.

Phil