Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 18:49:32 +0100

>> Hi Andrey,
>>
>> your code is neat and useful. Could it integrate with the existing
>> `next-error' and `previous-error' Emacs functionality, though? That's
>> not just for errors, but for visiting points of interest in general.
>
> I just had another look at the code.  If I understand it correctly, you
> hit `f', numbers are assigned to the links, and then you enter the
> number of the link you want to visit?

I'm not the OP, but if his tool behaves like Conkeror/Vimperator, that's
how it works.

> I'm afraid I don't find this compelling functionality.  Anything that
> makes me read numbers from the screen and then type them in doesn't seem
> like something a lot of people would want to do when they can just mouse
> or tab to the link.

Firefox and Chrome have extensions for this kind of functionality
(Conkeror, Vimperator, Vimium...) They are very popular, with hundreds
of thousands of downloads. I'm a Vimperator user because reaching for
the mouse for clicking a link is anti-ergonomic and slow. I'm also a
happy eww user and I do not miss Conkeror-like navigation there, but
that is just because the type of web pages I visit with eww. For the
rest, I'll rather switch to another web browser than stop using
Conkeror-like navigation.