Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Conkeror-like functionality for EWW
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 12:17:30 +0100

Andrey Kotlarski <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andrey,

>> So basically I like the feature a lot but I'd prefer if it operated
>> on the whole page, not only the visible buffer portion.  That is, I
>> think it would be ok if the numbers started with 1 at the beginnig of
>> the visible buffer portion but extended to the end of the page so
>> that `f <something>' has a search-forward behavior without bound.
>
> Problem is user can't refer to something invisible (by number or
> further narrow) unless magical powers.

Well, a user might know what he's looking for.  Or do you mean that
statement in a more technical sense?

In the latter case, `helm-occur' does something similar namely
dynamically narrowing down a buffer to lines that match a given regex as
you type it.  It does that in a separate buffer and prefixes the the
matching lines with some metadata (file, line), but I think that should
be doable also on the current buffer.

> However, in case narrowing filters out all visible links, automatic
> scrolling could happen until/if there are matches further down.  I'll
> give it a go these days.

Yeah, that would be an alternative approach.

Bye,
Tassilo