Re: Turning off colorization

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 12:51:56 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> Some color-blind or visually impaired people may want syntax
> highlighting but not colorization.

Very good point.

> So maybe Emacs could offer a way to turn off colors without turning
> off syntax highlighting, at least in SHR. I think it would be
> generally useful, but don't know if and how it could work generally.

Wouldn't it suffice to provide a `no-colors' theme that sets up the
standard font-lock faces so that they don't use colors but only bold
fonts, italics, underline, etc?

Probably, that wouldn't suffice because redefining each and every face
defined by some package isn't feasible.  But maybe that "theme" could
also advise `defface' and friends and strip color attributes from
face-specs.

Bye,
Tassilo