Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 20:39:59 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
> In Emacs-25.1, I'd like to start bundling some GNU ELPA packages
> into Emacs.  The most obvious such package is Org (whose Git code
> should move out of emacs.git and into elpa.git), but others will be
> added, I'm sure (probably Company, for example).
>
> Who'd like to help?

I do.  Depending on the exact timing of the change I may have more or
less time to spend on this topic, though.

Here's one issue that I've not seen discussed bradly so far: currently
builtin packages aren't packages at all and are indeed available
site-wide for this particular Emacs version.  ELPA packages on the other
hand are a per-user thing only.  With ELPA packages bundled into Emacs,
I suggest that there should be a possibility for site-wide configuration
of which packages are available and enabled in the same way that
site-lisp currently works for non-packaged libraries.

Regards,
Achim.