Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Bundling GNU ELPA packages
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:43:34 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
> While there is no UI for it, package.el can definitely handle
> site-wide packages: just add the corresponding directory to
> package-directory-list.  And /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/elpa is
> included in there by default.

That might take care of adding a package into site-lisp, but unless I'm
mistaken there is no obvious way for the user to "delete" such a package
(unless he's got write access to site-lisp) or even just chose a
different version.  Yes you can fiddle with the data structures, but
that is too error-prone, I'd think.

> I'm not sure exactly what kind of "configuration of which packages are
> available" you're thinking of, but I don't plan to provide a way to
> "disable" bundled packages, just like we currently don't offer a way to
> disable the things "activated" in lisp/loaddefs.el.

I'm thinking of a site administrator who wants to have a customized
selection of packages available, perhaps for multiple versions of Emacs;
without foisting that default on any user who might want or need
different packages.  So there needs to be a way to override the
selection of packages that came with Emacs on a site-wide basis and then
again on a per-user basis.  A user needs to be able to update the
packages she added, while the site administrator needs to be able to do
the same for the site collection, independently of each other.

Regards,
Achim.