Re: Turning off colorization

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:40:40 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:28:51 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> >> Not every face that defines a color is controlled by font-lock.
>
> No, but font-lock-mode is the standard way to control whether or not
> a buffer is colorized/highlighted.  We introduced font-lock-face
> specifically so that font-lock-mode can also be used for the case where
> the highlighting is actually not applied via the usual
> font-lock-keywords method.

But we ourselves are inconsistent in this respect.  E.g.,
file-name-shadow-mode does its thing disregarding font-lock.  So what
you describe might be your aspiration (which I'm not sure I share),
but it certainly isn't adhered enough in core Emacs itself.

More generally, turning off font-lock certainly won't turn colors
globally in the entire Emacs display, because there are elements, like
window decorations and menus, which are not derived from buffer text,
and therefore cannot possibly be controlled by font-lock.  If we want
a single command to turn off all colors, we cannot use font-lock for
that.