Re: porting to Wayland

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: porting to Wayland
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 18:01:36 +0100

Hi.

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen skrev den 2014-11-12 16:50:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

I have updated the YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu patch:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-04/msg00390.html

It all works except some image glitches.
It does not add another window system, rather expands the xterm.c code.
I was expecting that Gtk3+ and Cairo together would let us re-enable
double buffering in Gtk and thus get that for free.  Unfortunately
this did not work, as Gtk needs to do its drawing in the event loop,
like the NS port needs to do as mentioned in #17124.

I will probably check this in if I get round to writing all those
ChangeLog entries and fix the image things.

I just got a Jolla phone running Sailfish, which is apparently a Wayland
server without XWayland.  Would this Wayland port enable running a
graphical Emacs on the phone, I wonder?  Somebody else has apparently
ported a non-graphical Emacs to the phone already...

This is not a Wayland port, it is a Cairo port. It still uses X for events (mouse keyboard) as Cairo does not have any of that.
Wayland would be a different beast.

        Jan D.