Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 10:50:36 +0100

Barry Warsaw <address@hidden> writes:

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 10:43 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>>You must also admit that git is at fault here for misusing common words.
>>A "branch" in English is not and cannot mean a "tip of a branch".  Yet
>>git has twisted the language such that this has become its meaning.  And
>>any cultured person must suppress his revulsion at such abuse as part of
>>the cost of learning git.  YUCK!
>
> I would concur.  For someone with decades of $vcs experience, I think the
> subtly (and sometimes not-so-) differences in terminology, which translates to
> non-obvious cli behavior is the biggest impediment to drinking the git
> kool-aid.

You can view your branch as anything you want to, but new identifiable
growth happens on branch tips or on new branching points on any good old
English tree.  And I was not aware that in plain English language any
piece of a tree has to have a primary association with one particular
twiglet considered to be its principal identity.

At any rate, I don't see the point in further explaining anything about
Git to a bunch of petulant overbearing bickerings.  Less special people
manage learning to work with their tools.  There is a saying in German
"Wenn der Bauer nicht schwimmen kann, liegt's an der Badehose" -- "if
the farmer can't swim, it's the swimming trunks' fault".

If you are so much smarter than the others, bring up your lectures on
the Git developer list.

--
David Kastrup