Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:49:07 +0100

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Thu, 20 Nov 2014 22:59:07 +0200

   Switching the branch is easy, but after that, you'd almost
   always need a full bootstrap, which might become annoying.

The pain point seems to be bootstrap, so might as well
address it directly in the instructions: "If hacking TOPIC
will require bootstrap, then probably you want a separate
working tree on branch TOPIC.  Otherwise, you can use the
same working tree and switch branches."

   We are talking about simplified instructions here, mind
   you.  Don't take that as a general advice for advanced
   users: they don't need these instructions.

I think it's okay to have a small conditional branch (argh,
another overloaded use of that word!) in these instructions.
Being explicit about intent puts the onus of choice on the
reader, which is where it belongs when it comes to managing
pain.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502