Re: git commit/push and VC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git commit/push and VC
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 12:30:27 +0200

> From: Achim Gratz <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:17:43 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
> > There are still issues that I'd like to be sure about before I fix
> > them.  Would people please comment on these:
> >
> >   . the instructions say that a "git commit" is necessary even when
> >     the merge is without conflicts, which AFAIK is incorrect with Git
>
> In standard configuration a non-conflicted merge will be auto-committed,
> yes.  As always, that default can be configured to instead stop before
> the commit.

OK, so if we are going to recommend to use "commit -a" (and actually
we already do, see the Wiki), then I guess "git add" after resolving
merge conflicts is also not necessary, right?  That is, instead of
this:

  git merge master
  # resolve conflicts
  git add file-you-changed
  git commit -m "Merge from mainline."

we should recommend this:

  git merge master
  # resolve conflicts
  git commit -a -m "Merge from mainline."

Is that correct?

> >   . do we want to tell there that "pull --rebase" is recommended? that
> >     would solve some of the issues the instructions are forced to
> >     explain in so many words, which unnecessarily complicates them
>
> I'm still in favor of configuring that preference, rather than asking
> for options to be added to each command.

Yes, of course.

Thanks.