Re: My plans for VC mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: My plans for VC mode
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:46:20 +0200

On 11/22/2014 06:37 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

vc-state is likely to surivive with unaltered semantics.  So is diff.

Ok. I'm also using `vc-diff-internal', `vc-buffer-sync' and `vc-exec-after', but these seem to be less relevant to the current subject.

`dir-status' and `dir-status-files', on the other hand...there is a comment
in vc.el that reads:

     ;; - Another important thing: merge all the status-like backend operations.
     ;;   We should remove dir-status, state, and dir-status-files, and
     ;;   replace them with just `status' which takes a fileset and a
continuation
     ;;   (like dir-status) and returns a buffer in which the process(es) are
run
     ;;   (or nil if it worked synchronously).

I think this is a good thing to aim at.

The above list includes `state', which you're saying won't be changed much. Other than that, do you mean `dir-status' and `dir-status-files' will be merged?

If that means that the new function will behave just like `dir-status' when passed a nil (or a directory) instead of a list of files, then how that's much better than keeping the functions separate? The downside is obvious, meanwhile (API breakage).