Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:18:21 +0100

On Friday 05 December 2014 13:12:39 Glenn Morris wrote:
> Just want to say that I agree with you.
> I've written a lot of Emacs documentation.
> I like Texinfo, I'm used to Texinfo, Texinfo is not the problem.
> I have no enthusiasm for throwing out all that experience just because
> of some buzz-words being thrown around.

I agree.  Although Texinfo certainly is a slightly higher barrier and less
people are familiar with it than potential alternatives, I don't think
changing it would result in more people being willing to contribute to the
documentation.  And if it annoys the people who are actually writing
documentation, like you and Eli, then it doesn't make sense to change it.

That being said, I do think we should consider alternatives to using the Info
format.  Now that we have eww/shr, it might make sense to use HTML as well.
Although we need a way to support the index in it.

Regards,
Rüdiger