Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 22:23:01 +0200

> Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:36:43 -0500
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: RĂ¼diger Sonderfeld <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden
>
> > But a lot of this is cosmetic.  We could improve Texinfo to look much
> > better probably (and that would positively affect a lot of existing GNU
> > projects).
>
> But it would still be Texinfo, still be an essentially pointless
> barrier to learning how to contribute.

Nonsense.  What evidence do you have to back that up?

Here's the evidence I have: the GDB project, where it's policy to
require documentation changes with each user-visible change.  Every
contributor is required to comply, and there's a standing proposal for
those who don't feel themselves well in Texinfo to write their docs in
plain text, which the documentation maintainer (yours truly) will then
convert to Texinfo by adding the necessary markup.

The result?  Everyone complies without complaining, and I didn't yet
have even one person asking me to make good on that promise.

I see no reason why it cannot work in Emacs, if we ever decide to go
that way.  But even if we don't, this experience proves that your
assertions about Texinfo being a barrier are simply false.