Re: More metaproblem

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: More metaproblem
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 17:24:16 -0500

Karl Fogel <address@hidden>:
> That's going to be a good investment of my time, after the initial
> rejection of the idea?

There's another version of this that's common here.  It's "We will not
consider anything new unless you commit to doing *all* the hard work
yourself, up front, and also a whole bunch of related shitwork that we
haven't been able to find anyone to take on."

It's basically a way to day "Fuck off" while sounding pseudo-responsible.
It doesn't fool anyone, though.  The underlying message of reflexive
rejection of change is clear.

Heaven forfend anyone should offer to ... cooperate.  Spread the load.
When was the last time we heard anyone saying in reaction to a big new
proposal "That's a great idea you just had.  I'll do *this* piece."

And yet, we wonder why there are 500+ regulars on #emacs  who don't dare
set foot in here.  Well, why should they?  It's a hostile work environment.