Re: Generators (iterators) for Gnu Emacs

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Generators (iterators) for Gnu Emacs
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 04:12:18 -0500

On 12/05/2014 11:09 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> That aside, I'm not sure I agree with your namespace preferences. `yield' is
>> fundamentally a lexically-scoped macro.
>
> The lexically scoped `yield' is OK.  But the global (defmacro yield ...)
> is not (tho, I'm OK with keeping it if wrapped in (unless (fboundp
> 'yield) ...)).
>
>> I'd also strongly prefer using `next' as the iter-get function.
>
> I know, but this one is out of the question.  All globally-visible names
> need to be namespace-clean.  So it can be `gen-next'.

It *is* "namespace-clean", as I explained above. It's ludicrous to
expect that all future additions to elisp include horribly long,
hyphenated names even when they're describing fundamental features of
the environment. It's `car', goddammit it, not `seq-list-car'.

The point is to minimize the possibility of collision with useful user
code, not to religiously ensure that all symbols match ^[a-z]+-[a-z-]+$