Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 16:21:15 +0300

On 05/12/2014 07:35 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Several recent posts in the metaproblem threads have had the common
> theme that Emacs's web resources are weak, scattered, and unfocused.
> In particular, guidance for new developers that should be public,
> prominent and webbed is buried in obscure text files deep in the Emacs
> source distribution.
>
> I think the major reason this has not happened is because the Emacs
> development culture is still largely stuck in a pre-Web mindset.
> There are a number of historically contingent reasons for this, but
> enumerating them is not really important.  What matters is recognizing
> that this is a problem and fixing it.

You write about a "pre-Web mindset".  But what is a proper "Web-midset",
then?  I see my colleagues googling nearly everything while they can
access most of it locally (like Javadocs - I'm a Java developer).  Is
that we should be prepared for?  I don't want to.

It's so nice to have a solid program like Emacs independent of whatever
things happening on the Internet, and a documentation system (Info)
too.  Why not improve things instead of throwing them away?

Although I like my web browsers of choice (emacs-w3m and Safari for
sites which need javascript), I'd be happy not to use the web browser at
all while at work.

And this largely reminds me the discussion "make CUA the default because
it will attract new users familiar with Word/Notepad/etc.).

Just my opinion.

Filipp