Re: HTML-Info design

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 16:54:06 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> But I think the problems with that will be the problems with eww. Poor
>> caching (your solution would immediately invalidate what Stefan said was
>> his #1), difficult to make multiple buffers, etc...
>
> Huh?  Caching?  The (HTML) Info files are in the Emacs distribution, so
> eww would just load them from disk.

Right.

So it's not just:

`M-x eww RET
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/index.html RET'

as you claimed.

Instead it would be:

M-x eww file:///home/nicferrier/emacs-24.4/share/info...

Oh wait. The HTML files are in the distribution and not the
installation... so we could alter the installation... but then where
would we get them from? I guess users will want a wrapper command around
eww....

There are lots of things to sort out. I'm not sure eww is the right
starting point.

But if you think it is then go to it! Seriously, I am not that
enthusiastic about taking on another job. I'll get it done but you're
already sniping about how I'm talking about doing it so I'd be really
happy to cheer you on instead of listening to you complain about how I'm
suggesting approaching the problem.

> And it's not more difficult to make multiple buffers in eww than it is
> in Info.

Specifically you can easily create a new buffer link from an existing
Info link (`info-menu'). I don't think you can do that in eww yet. Or am
I wrong?

Nic