Re: Requesting review before pushing patch to ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Requesting review before pushing patch to ELPA
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 16:58:57 -0500

> js2-mode is included in the repo for development and CI purposes.  I want to
> test in a clean environment (emacs -Q) and also on Travis CI.  Having that
> file available lets me easily add it to the load path.  I do exclude it in
> .elpaignore, because I expect that when context-coloring is installed, the
> package manager will handle the dependency instead.

Ah, right, that makes sense.

> Yes, it is a truer statement that (in its current state) context-coloring
> works fine for some modes, but requires those files for non-js2-mode
> JavaScript modes.

> esprima.js is sourced from here:
> https://github.com/jquery/esprima/blob/1114c32c4e0ffaf47864967a835fdc0a37909f14/esprima.js
> escope.js is sourced from here:
> https://github.com/estools/escope/blob/b191ec36b744f65df094c614510ca6125284a958/escope.js
> extraverse.js is sourced from here:
> https://github.com/estools/estraverse/blob/c280df4aa75d7846328aa436ee5acd04afafc543/estraverse.js

As long as we only redistribute these files without modifying them at
all, I think it's fine to have them as-is in elpa.git.

If I were you, I'd probably prefer to split them into a separate
"javascript support for context-coloring" package, but luckily I'm not
you, so feel free to do as you wish in this regard.

        Stefan