Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: Use of dedicated windows in gdb-mi.el
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 16:57:36 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> If you don't like this fixed arrangement of dedicated windows, then
> why are you using GDB-MI?  Simply either turn off "the other" windows,
> or don't turn them on in the first place (they are disabled by
> default).  Then you will have full freedom of selecting which buffer
> gets displayed in what window, as usual in Emacs.
>
> My suggestion to use another frame was meant to give you the best of
> all worlds -- the ability to switch to any buffer you like without
> losing the IDE-like behavior of GDB-MI.  I don't really understand the
> nature of your objection to it: doesn't it resolve the dilemma?
>
> IOW, I don't understand why would anyone want GDB-MI, but without its
> predefined arrangement of windows.  If we lift the dedicated windows
> limitation, Emacs will pop the GDB-MI buffers all over the place, as
> you well know.  Why does it make sense to "hunt" for a certain GDB-MI
> buffer, like the call-stack buffer, when you can't even remember its
> name easily?
>
> Can you explain the motivation, and also why using GDB without the
> other windows is not an option?

I'm using plain `gdb', I don't even like `gdb-many-windows'. But even in
plain `gdb', I'm getting a dedicated *output* window that pops up each
time there's output. This *output* window is hard to get rid of: even if
I kill that buffer, it comes back, dedicated once more.

The patch that I attached solves my problem with plain `gdb'.

Oleh