Re: Generalize start-process with keyword args

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Generalize start-process with keyword args
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:03:29 -0400

>>> I agree that this is awkward. What I envisaged was an (optional) alist
>>> of (REGEXP . (INTERPRETER INTERPRETER-ARGS)) pairs such that if
>>> start-process is onvoked for a PROGRAM that matches REGEXP, then use
>>> INTERPRETER as the PROGRAM argument to start-process, and prepend
>>> INTERPRETER-ARGS to the PROGRAM-ARGS list.
>> But that means this alist will have to be updated for each new script
>> you want to handle, no?  How useful is that?
> This issue is clearly a minority concern, so feel free to disregard it.

BTW, in the absence of this alist in Emacs, you can code it up yourself
with a quick advice like (guaranteed 100% untested):

   (defun handle-scripts-in-start-process (args)
     (if (string-match REGEXP (nth 2 args))
         `(,(nth 0 args) (nth 1 args) "bash" "-c" ,@(nthcdr 2 args))
       args))
   (avice-add 'start-process :filter-args #'handle-scripts-in-start-process)

-- Stefan