Re: VC mode and git

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 16:36:51 +0000

Hello, Óscar.

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 04:56:06PM +0200, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Manpages are not tutorials.  There are a lot of good tutorials
> >> available.  Just use them.

> > There's a large gap between where the tutorials leave off and the man
> > pages pick up.  I found nothing to fill that gap, in terms of
> > background information regarding what is going on.  There are a lot of
> > specific questions answered on StackOverflow and such likes, but they
> > provide cookbook-style solutions, which is very good for solving
> > specific problems, but not if one wants to understand what's going on
> > better.

> Please note that Alan mentioned several times that he is not interested
> on the "what's going on" part of Git (which IMO is a reasonable stance,
> but I do not understand why he insists on ignoring the advice about not
> using the man pages for learning how to use Git and read instead some of
> the multiple tutorials and introductions available on the 'net.)

These tutorials all deal with the basics.  I've read (parts of) a few
of them.  Their information density is very low - such is the nature of
tutorials.  If I have to skim over yet another exposition of how
wonderful it is that VCSs can work with branches, and so on, I think
I'll scream.

I think there's been just one concrete tutorial suggested to me, and
that was <http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/>.  I'm sure it's an excellent
book, but it's several hundred pages long.

What I need is an information density which is typical of man pages (or
of the Emacs manuals).  I am frustrated and angered that the git man
pages don't have this information density - they suffer from vagueness
amongst other things - but they're all that there is.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).