Re: VC mode and git

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 14:32:32 -0700

On 04/02/2015 07:52 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 12:32:41 +0000
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>, Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>,
>>      address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> I do not constrain my git pulls exclusively to the times when I'm
>> ready to make a sensible commit.
>
> May I ask why do you pull (a.k.a. "merge from master") at all while
> working on a feature?
>
> Also, are we talking about you working on a feature branch, or about
> working directly on master?
>
> Generally, work that takes more than, say, an hour or two, and is
> expected to involve a non-trivial amount of changes, is better done on
> a separate branch, which you then merge onto master when you are done.
> While working on such a branch, it makes little sense to merge from
> master, because that just brings unrelated changes that could
> potentially disrupt your development.  Instead, wait until you are
> finished with your changes, and then merge.  If you do that, then the
> potential conflicts due to pull/merge from master simply cannot
> happen.

When I develope a major new feature, it's usually because I'm scratching
some personal itch. I want to take advantage of whatever the feature
provides while I develop it. I also want to use the latest bugfixes and
unrelated features from Emacs trunk. Regularly rebasing my feature work
on top of trunk is the best way to accomplish both goals.