Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:32:57 +0100

<address@hidden>:
> We probably don't want to apply Customize settings before (or at the
> start of) loading init.el, do we?

That's yet another discussion.
I usually tell people to place their custom-set-variables at the top
of their init file. Otherwise, if you install a new theme and try to
`(load-theme 'theme-name)' in your init file, you'll get problems
because `custom-safe-themes' hasn't been set yet.
At the same time, it can't just be automatically loaded before the
init-file, because a lot of people might setq the `custom-file'
variable to something else.

> Does anyone see disadvantages with this design?  I think it's the most
> sensible approach.

The only problem I see is the added complexity, which I'm mostly ok
with. But I'd hopefully like to hear from more than 3 people on this.