Re: xref "find references" and grouping

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref "find references" and grouping
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 05:09:17 +0300

On 05/03/2015 10:47 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:

Not sure what you mean.  Trees can be ordered and a list of tree-paths
would seem enough to describe an ordered tree.

Ok, you're right. There's nothing impossible in a comparison function accepting lists of different lengths.

I can offer another, recently surfaced critique: if all groups are simply strings, we can't do content-specific things to them at display. For instance, can't shorten file paths.

Tree widgets can have specialized subclasses.

Sounds like there would not be much left to be shared between different
languages.

That's a very surprising conclusion. What prompted it? Like you said, we're not sorting now anyway. There's not much language-specific in the proposal.

A set of widgets (like generic group, file group, method group, and a few kinds of locations) will allow any language mode to return a structured set of matches, which can even be rendered in different ways.

Maybe we should never have tried to generalize this anyway
and simply declare a convention that programming modes should bind
M-. to a find-definition-like command.  That certainly would avoid the
current dilemma of pleasing everybody.

By allowing every mode to behave in its own way? That would certainly please every user.

A rename feature would probably benefit from an UI that's
separate/independent from find-definition.

It would be different, but not necessarily vastly different. And the set of returned xrefs we're getting from the "find references" command is already enough to base a simplistic rename on.