RE: C-x 8 shorthands for = and =

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-x 8 shorthands for = and =
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

> > I disagree.  I use « and » from time to time, and I /never/ wanted
> > to use ≪ or ≫.
>
> FWIW I'm in the same situation.

And I'm wondering why we need to provide such "shortcuts".  It is
*trivial* for anyone to bind keys to insert any chars one uses often.
I don't see how we're doing anyone any favors by this.

What's so special about any particular set of Unicode chars that we
should bother to offer a predefined set of bindings for them (even if
turning on that set is optional)?  Now we're even down to looking to
bind ≫ or »?  How silly is that?  (Well, I'm sure those chars are
very useful for some people - but those who need 'em can bind 'em.)

Where's the beef?