Re: Package installation messages

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Package installation messages
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 03:00:18 +0300

On 05/15/2015 02:15 AM, Artur Malabarba wrote:

Now that the async features have been out for a few months, I can say I
like the async refreshing but I'm not a fan of how async installation
turned out (for the exact reasons you mention above). I see 3 options,
and I'd like to know what people think.

Async refreshing has grown on me too, but it still needs to implement retaining the marks set by the user.

1. Keep the feature but disable by default. Async refreshing would still
be enabled.

I'd rather we not keep options for behavior nobody has specifically asked for.

2. Implement it using a background emacs process. This has been
mentioned here before, it would not cause emacs to hang during the
unpacking stage, and would not be interrupted by C-g.

Guess that's an option, if maybe a heavy-weight one.

3. Just revert it. This has the advantage of simplifying the logic.
Async refreshing would still be kept.

IIUC, async installation also performs downloads concurrently, right? That would be a useful trait to keep.