Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f9fabb2 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gn

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master f9fabb2 2/2: Merge branch 'master' of git.sv.gnu.org:/srv/git/emacs
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 16:44:52 +0100

> That's what I did, likely.
>
> However, the tip might give me a way to bring the git repo back to a
> stable state, with potential loosing of local changes. As long as I'm
> not fluent in solving merge conflicts, that's good to know.
>
>> OTOH, merge conflicts are nothing to be afraid of, the procedure to
>> handle them is simple and straightforward.  Michael (and every one
>> else here) should IMO master that simple procedure, instead of
>> avoiding it.
>>
>> In a dVCS, you cannot rely on being able to avoid merges all the time
>> anyway.  There are always races with other developers.
>
> If git would be more friendly to tell what happens ... why the hell I
> must take care on files I've never touched myself.

Perhaps the sensible way forward would be to push to a branch either on
or off the the main repo and then do a request pull. Much easier for
anyone scared of git (like me).

Of course, some one has to be able to answer the request, but then
having this set up would be no bad thing anyway, for those without
commit access, as well as those just scared.

Phil