Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 22:21:32 +0300

On 06/28/2015 08:52 PM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

For example, I've seen uses of ⸢foo⸥ for marking up source code
snippets.  That seems pretty unambiguous (although you can never be
sure), and as long you can type it easily and display it however suits
you best, it's as good as anything else.

If we're prepared to change the markup radically, it would be better to use something like a tilde character, which is both ASCII and very rare in our docstrings.

BTW: On a related note: I don't get why *Help* buffers display quotes at
all when they are already displayed with a face that makes them
distinguishable from "normal" text and are clickable.

Not the same thing. We only linkify the names of already-loaded (or autoloaded) functions and variables.

Whereas we also use the quotes for other cases, like key sequences (`C-h k') and arbitrary `symbols' (for example when describing possible values of a variable or a function argument).