Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open

From: Nix
Subject: Re: xref and leaving "temporary" buffers open
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:34:16 +0100

On 25 Jul 2015, Dmitry Gutov outgrape:

> On 07/25/2015 09:17 PM, martin rudalics wrote:
>>  > ... the distinction of open vs. loaded buffers, ...
>>
>> Please let's try to find a better notation.  Both "open" and "loaded"
>> are very confusing.  "Fore-/background" buffers, "ex-/implicit" buffers
>> are not good either.
>
> I'm also worried about that.
>
> Temporary? Might be not too good for the ones we'll want to keep
> around indefinitely (although I've yet to see a solid use case for
> that).

FWIW, there are existing packages which automatically kill buffers that
weren't modified for a certain period of time and are no longer
displayed in any frame (using the buffer-modified-tick). If you combine
that with a modification such that the comparatively limited set of
commands that explicitly open buffers on user request set a buffer-local
'persistent-buffer' variable in them, you can then arrange to
automatically erase all non-persistent buffers without touching the
packages that open such buffers. (However, this would tend to break
third-party modes that open lots of extra buffers -- but how many of
those are there? It's mostly things, like Gnus, that implement whole
multi-buffer applications inside Emacs, I think. There seem to be
arguments in favour both of the local variable to mark temporariness and
the local variable to mark *non*-temporariness...)

--
NULL && (void)