Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: cl-defgeneric vs random funcall in project.el
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 20:21:52 +0100

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 7:07 PM, Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/10/2015 11:45 AM, João Távora wrote:
>
>> But
>> I agree it should be possible to implement grep-project and to get the
>> dirs it needs from a single interface in project.el
>
> I see no technical obstacles there.

That's what I suspected, but Stephen said that you don't like it. I mistakenly
took that as a suggestion that you wouldn't add the functionality to support
it.

>> * For the other 5% I'll try to make the projects themselves conform to
>>    some other standard representation that some other project backend
>>    automatically understands, i.e. I would rename targets of Makefiles
>>    and relocate dependencies if that helped some hypothetocal backend
>>    (that I assume is well designed)
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure how to better serve this use case.
>
> Either someone will have to write another backend (or several) that target
> different build systems, or the VC backend will have to be equipped with a
> pluggable facility for reading project files.
>
> Some combination of the two will probably turn out to be optimal.

I agree. But I think you misunderstood me, these particular 5% are the ones
where you're "off-the-hook", meaning I'll adapt my project to to fit
some existing
backend. For example, if I have a project in some obscure VCS that the
vc backend
doesn't support, I might consider switching VCS systems.

--
João Távora