Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 12:25:18 -0700

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Well, as I said, I edit texts with non-ascii characters frequently, and
don't experience any particular difficulty with them.  Having to type in
a decimal/hex code for a non-working character (or, even worse, having
to look up an input method for it) just stops me in my tracks.  An
example is when I reply to Óscar, "Ó" being outside my working character
set.

Emacs currently makes it harder to deal with non-ASCII and/or
non-working characters than it could.

Could you give an example of this (pertaining, preferably, to non-ascii
working characters)?

You gave an example in your previous paragraph, where you're stopped in your tracks if you have to type "Ó" into Emacs.

Whatever problem that might be, the solution surely cannot be
artificially to inflict it on ourselves.

There's nothing artificial about using a character to represent itself in typical usage in a doc string or a diagnostic. What's artificial is requiring users to laboriously type and read ASCII-only circumlocutions instead.