Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents so

From: Jon Dufresne
Subject: Re: Need help debugging Emacs: emacsclient will not draw its contents sometimes
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 09:47:59 -0700

>> Do you have a way to try this with a development snapshot of Emacs 25?

> I'll give this a shot and report if I encounter the issue again. Thanks.1

After some hours of usage today, the issue was reproduced with a
recent git checkout of Emacs:

"M-x version RET"
GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6) of
2015-09-10

git hash: 8aa0386420f9d982b99568f27a5953dfc737640e

> One other thing to try is "emacsclient -t", i.e. a text-mode frame.
> Does that have the same problem, or does it display buffers as
> expected?

I played around with this and found some interesting notes.

Once the issue arises, if I execute "emacsclient -c", "emacsclient -c
filename.txt", "emacsclient -t", or "emacsclient -t filename.txt" from
a new gnome-terminal the frame opens and display correctly as
expected. It appears that only the frames created by mercurial
commands regularly have the issue, and then only sometimes.

If it helps, I execute mercurial commands from gnome-terminal and not
from within Emacs. Sometimes mercurial require an editor. My "~/.hgrc"
has the editor configured to "emacsclient -c". I'm not sure if the
fact that this issue only occurs from mercurial is significant or
merely a coincidence as other than mercurial new emacsclients are
rarely invoked.

If I execute the "emacsclient -c" from a separate terminal (as
mentioned above), then retry the mercurial command, the next frame
displays correctly as expected. It seems this sequence somehow gets
around the issue.

Thanks for the help! If there is any additional information I can
provide to help debug this issue, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jon