Re: New maintainer

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 12:38:18 -0700

On 10/05/2015 12:32 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: John Wiegley <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 12:02:50 -0700
>>
>> we have compute-intensive applications -- such as Gnus -- that
>> cannot take advantage of the additional power offered by multi-core
>> CPUs. How do we add concurrency without increasing our maintenance
>> burden due to impossible-to-reproduce bugs, race conditions, and
>> terrible error messages (a Backtrace, but from which thread?).
>
> There's the concurrency branch in the repository.  It needs to be
> revived (didn't see any activity for the last 2 years), and was not
> really ready for prime time last time I looked at it (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-08/msg00704.html
> and its continuation into Sep 2013).  But it's not far from its
> proclaimed goal.

It isn't, but I'm still not sure that goal is the right one. I much
prefer a world where we don't have shared mutable state: the web workers
model from the web is a good one, and like any concurrency solution for
Emacs, it addresses the problem of integrating multiprocessing into a
legacy single-threaded environment.