Re: IDE

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:40:01 -0700

> But since it did come out in 2003, we really should be asking _why_ it isn't
> the answer to our present questions, in order to avoid the effort of
> creating CEDET2 and CEDET3.

I certainly do want to avoid CEDET2.

> I don't think the idea is to curtail it but rather to _shape_ it. If we
> decide we need $x and CEDET provides $x, then either we haven't fully
> figured out the details of the $x we need or CEDET does something wrong when
> providing it. Figuring out either will hopefully save us time in arriving at
> something actually doing what we want.

I will not approach this by asking how CEDET can be improved to meet the needs
of an Emacs IDE. That is the most likely path leading to CEDET2.

Emacs' needs as an IDE should be considered on their own, as I've said before.
Any or all existing methodologies can be taken into account, but none deserve
preference until an architecture begins to take shape.

John