Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:55:43 -0700

>> Or a more radical approach: a Lispy language, easy to learn by those who
>> already know Elisp, but which can be translated all the way to something as
>> performant as the current C code, while being capable of interacting with
>> it.

> This would be a tremendous amount of work, for a mere cleanup: it would not
> make Emacs any better to use, for anyone. It would not greatly help future
> development either.

We suppose that it might be bad, and we suppose that it might be good. I'd
like to see some experimentation before calling it either way.

> I urge people to think instead about implementing useful features, such as
> handling more kinds of formatted text, or various features for a more
> powerful IDE (many of these are lacking).

The point is to discuss what is of possible interest to us. If others don't
care for this thread, let them ignore it; if they want to start a new thread
for more productive endeavors, may it be so.

John