Re: ELPA policy

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: ELPA policy
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 03:25:07 -0600

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

> The distinction between tarball
> ELPA and net ELPA is much more plastic than core and tarball ELPA. In fact, I
> have a feeling that, initially, tarball ELPA and net ELPA will just be the
> same thing, until we have a reason to tease them apart.

Including a package in tarball ELPA means that the Emacs project has
decided that the package is sufficiently important to be made
immediately available to all Emacs users with no effort on their part
beyond installing Emacs from the tarball.

That implies a certain level of maturity and quality, and implies that
it should be favored over other similar packages.

On the other hand, we have in several cases recommended that someone put
a package in Gnu ELPA in order to give it more exposure, so that it
might eventually become higher quality and more mature.

In general, ELPA packages have far less oversight than core packages.
tarball ELPA packages should have the same oversight as core, or at
least more than normal ELPA packages.

So I disagree that all of Gnu ELPA should be included in the tarball.

Another choice would be to say "use MELPA for experimental packages",
but it is already too late for that.

--
-- Stephe