Re: Windows mingw64 and cygwin builds broken

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Windows mingw64 and cygwin builds broken
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 15:25:45 +0200

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:18:22 +0000
>
> Both the cygwin-w32 and mingw64 builds now need to be configured with
> --without-dbus to avoid a crash when dumping.

That's not what I intended.  It was supposed to work even when D-Bus
is compiled in.  The code that supports w32 notifications and the
related DEFSYM's are conditioned on non-Cygwin build and on D-Bus not
being available.  When D-Bus _is_ available, then only the DEFSYM's in
dbusbind.c were supposed to be visible, and those in w32fns.c
invisible, together with their supporting code.  But somehow this is
not working...

Ah, I think I see the problem: makedoc doesn't take preprocessor
directives into account.  I need to think how to fix that.

> As users may want to use D-Bus with cygwin-w32 emacs (and possibly with
> mingw64 emacs), a configure option is needed for the w32-notifications.

No, I don't think we need a configure option.  The intent was to
provide the native w32 notifications only if D-Bus is not available,
because the former support only a small subset of the functionality.

> Can you also please explain what was wrong with the patch I sent, which
> was simpler than your solution.

It used the same DEFSYM twice in certain configurations, which I
don't like.

> Does it make sense to build emacs with support for both D-Bus and
> w32-notifications, and for the user to choose which is enabled at
> runtime ?

Not to me, it doesn't.  And anyway, this is a separate issue; how to
fix the double definition of ':timeout' is unrelated to whether we
want to support both D-Bus notifications and w32 notifications in the
same build.  We could discuss the latter after we fix the former.

Thanks.