Having a custom merge process (was: EWW bugs should be fixed on emacs-25

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Having a custom merge process (was: EWW bugs should be fixed on emacs-25 branch)
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 15:35:30 -0800

> gitmerge.el will detect cherry-picks through the cherry-mark. However, since
> git is the C++ of version control, this works only 99% of the time. It does
> not work when the cherry-pick could not be applied cleanly, since then the
> patch-id changes. It also does not work when the same commit is also merged
> later (see the beginning of the emacs-25 branch for an example, where first
> a bunch of commits was cherry-picked and later 'master' was also merged).

OK, that's understandable. What I'd like to avoid -- as much as feasible -- is
having so much of a custom merge process, apart from what most other projects
using Git do, that it becomes difficult to teach newcomers about our process.

I've used Git in many scenarios, on many projects, but some of the practices
we're using here for Emacs development I've never seen before. This simply
makes me wonder how much of that difference is truly necessary, or is a result
of having evolved to this point from CVS and then Bazaar.