Re: Having a custom merge process

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Having a custom merge process
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 11:47:58 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 00:40:24 +0100
>
> John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I've used Git in many scenarios, on many projects, but some of the practices
> > we're using here for Emacs development I've never seen before. This simply
> > makes me wonder how much of that difference is truly necessary, or is a
> > result
> > of having evolved to this point from CVS and then Bazaar.
>
> I think the latter is probably true.  There are many people here who
> aren't that fond of git.  (I'm one of them.  :-))  And that's probably
> somewhat unusual, these days.

But the merge policies and what gitmerge.el does (and bzrmerge.el did
before it) were defined by people who are neither non-lovers of Git
nor are prisoners of the CVS-like way of thinking.  Those policies are
determined by the project needs first and foremost, not by what the
tools can or cannot do well.

So I don't see how this conclusion could be right.

But again, without having a list of "surprising" practices, it's hard
to reason about this.

> Hey!  It's time for a new 500+ article VC thread!

Yes.  Long time no seen.