Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:28:49 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The ugliness argument was about the grave accent, `, not about the
apostrophe.

Although the ugliness argument is primarily about the grave accent, it is also about the apostrophe. With most fonts “There’s” looks nicer than “There's”, and it’s better typography in English. Either character will do, but there seems little point uglifying the former into the latter.

To try to avoid spending more of our time about whether to use straight or curved apostrophes, I reworded the commentary to omit the apostrophes. I tightened it up a bit while I was at it.