Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 05:45:06 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 00:19:26 +0300
>
> On 01/09/2016 11:49 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>
> > If it's only supposed to be used in tags-query-replace and
> > tags-query-replace now, why does it need a binding? It only seems to be
> > used in a non-interactive way.
>
> Or if we *are* supposed to invoke tags-loop-continue interactively when
> using these commands, can't we make sure that it's only bound *then*?
>
> Like, set that binding in certain major modes' key maps? Or, if that's
> not an option, temporarily enter a minor mode that would set that binding?
>
> IIUC, tags-query-replace *does* use certain keymaps for its whole duration.
>
> And regarding tags-search, it shouldn't be too hard to implement an
> alternative that would use an xref buffer for output. If you like that
> idea, what shall we call it?

tags-loop-continue is also used by Dired, see 'A' and 'Q' in
"Operating on Files".

Look at this from the user's POV: these two commands, as well as
tags-search and tags-query-replace, are still available, so users will
expect to be able to continue them as they did before.  How can we
explain to them that the keybinding for that command changed?

Other than that, what technical solution is used to keep the command
and its keybinding available is unimportant, I think.