Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Helmut Eller
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 12:32:02 +0100

On Sun, Feb 07 2016, Richard Stallman wrote:

> It needs to be a little more self-documenting; for instance, it should
> say how to switch to another block.

I tried to improve the docstring of ubb-mode.

> Many of the characters don't display on my console,
> Have we got a way to tell, in Emacs Lisp, whether a certain
> character code can actually display?  I think there is one.

char-displayable-p seems to do this and it has, or more precisely
terminal_glyph_code has, special code for the Linux console.  So I think
it works on the Linux console and X but not with terminal emulators like
xterm.

> Could this use that to show something meaningful,
> for characters that can't really display?  For instance,
> a sequence of 2 or 3 characters that somehow stands for
> the real character?
>
> For instance, the sequence << could stand for «, and
> the sequence i-. could stand for dotless i.

I added the command ubb-toggle-ascii-replacements (bound to ~) for this.
It uses the translations from term/internal.el.  E.g. dotless i becomes
"i.".

Helmut