Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 18:01:39 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes.  But AFAIU the suggestion to "add blockers" simply makes these
> functions wait until the process is in that state.  So code that did
> this outside of those functions will "just work" because these
> blockers will become no-ops.

The issue is losing asynchronicity.  A function that previously called

(progn
  (make-network-stream ... :nowait t)
  (set-process-coding-system ...))

would not block.  With the proposed blockers (unless we add fine-grained
code to all the process function to only block if we haven't even done
DNS yet), this code will block.  And that's a regression.

But, I mean, we could examine all these process functions and only have
them block where we need them to, and things would work fine.  I don't
really have much confidence in us being able to do so completely
transparently, though.

Anyway, my brain may just be in a Gnus clean-up haze here...  that stuff
is tiring work.  But I'm done!  Whee!  I'll start looking at this async
stuff again tomorrow, I think.