Re: emacs-25 10597c9: Don't use 'find-program'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs-25 10597c9: Don't use 'find-program'
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 21:25:55 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2016 21:39:42 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > you might have 2 versions of 'find' (under
> > different names), one that is good at invoking programs via -exec, the
> > other that supports the -print0 action.
>
> Is this sort of problem common under MS-Windows?

Yes.  Find in particular has all kinds of semi-broken ports lying
around.  It's why I needed to do my own port years ago: the best one
in existence then was abysmally slow.  My port is much faster, and
generally doesn't lose features, but even it has deficiencies: for
example, the inode is always zero, so -inum doesn't work.

> It doesn't sound plausible in any GNUish or POSIXish system, where
> any find that supports -print0 should also support -exec.

Like I said: I don't expect this customization to be of any use for
GNU/Linux users.