Re: SOLVED

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: SOLVED
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 16:10:06 +0000

>>> "Kaushal" == Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

    >     , but not sure about the structure of
    >     that patch

    >     (which git diff option to use

    > - You first need to rebase your local git area to emacs-25 as you are
    > planning to provide just a documentation patch, (otherwise you would
    > rebase to the master branch).

 I am a bit confused now, I cloned originally via

 git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

And then ever pulled from it from time to time. That is what?, master or
emacs-25?

    > - Then git commit the changes in your local area.
    > - http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/plain/CONTRIBUTE has
    > instructions on the style of writing commit logs.
    > - Use git format_patch HEAD~1 to create patch for that last commit.

Ok thanks

    >     , to whom to send that patch

    > - You use the same M-x report-emacs-bug to describe the problem you
    > are solving along with the inline pasted patch you just created.

    >     etc).

    > While you are at it, you can even initiate the process to finish the
    > copyright paperwork if you'd like to contribute more in future (why
    > not! :)); even though you don't need that right now for 3 lines of
    > documentation patch.

Right, I wanted to wait till I am again in Germany, since I could to it
electronically while I can't while I am in Spain, progress, sigh

    > I see that you heavily contribute to matlab-mode.el. Thanks for
    > maintaining that!

Ah well, I provided some functionality but I think the person who really
contributed heavily to matlab-mode.el is Eric Ludlam, who unfortunately
is too busy to maintain matlab-mode.el, so I just  stepped in.

    > And as Stefan Monnier mentioned in an earlier email
    > thread, that could possibly be integrated into octave-mode.el piece
    > by piece and be part of Emacs.

Ah well there are two problems with that:

    -  a technical one. The real difference between these two packages
       IMHO is their shell. The relevant matlab code was written over a
       very long period of time (starting in 91), is very matlab
       specific and looks very complicated to me. I am not really sure
       that anyone besides Eric understands it.

    -  a copyright issue. I did not discuss this in detail on this list,
       but RMS asked me why the code could not be in ELPA instead of
       being in MELPA and the reason is that MathWorks has some
       copyright over some parts of the code and it is very very
       unlikely that they will transfer that copyright to the FSF. The
       code is under GPL2+ though.

    > Hope this helps.
    > --

Yes it did thanks.