Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Unbalanced change hooks (part 2) [Documentation fix still remaining]
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 18:35:42 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 09:13:43PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2016 19:42:23 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden

> > > However there's still the inaccuracy in the Elisp documentation for
> > > before-change-functions.  In particular there's the bit in "Change Hooks"
> > > that says:

> > >     This variable holds a list of functions to call before _ANY_ buffer
> > >     modification.

> > > , which is grossly misleading, at best.

> > > Should I open another bug report for this, or are you just going to be
> > > fixing it anyway (or giving me the info so that I can fix it)?

> > I will fix it.

> Done (on the emacs-25 branch).

You've changed "any" to "most", which although technically not incorrect,
is lacking in usefulness.  In particular, it gives a user of
before-change-functions no way to predict which modifications will call
it and which ones won't.

I think "most" is a bit misleading - it suggests a proportion of,
perhaps, 60% - 90%, whereas I think the figure in real usage is well over
99%.  "Almost all", I think, would be a better description than "most",
but still inadequate.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).